Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Hi,
I am Dawn; my graduate area is Ped-NP.
In the world of Pediatrics there is constantly new information on just about anything. It is relativity important to be able to know where to go find the latest information. Computer charting is popping up everywhere. If you are not comfortable using a one it is way past time you learn. Paper charting will soon be a thing of the past. We as graduate nurses will be expected to know how to use the latest in technology. There are lots of practical uses for information management. The ability to track trends and fluctuation of data to follow the progress of our patients is just wonderful. I personally hated to write on the growth charts for children. Now it is all clean and well preserved at your finger tips, no more need to leave eraser marks or trying to fit small changes on the graph, it’s all done on the computer.
Where I work I have been pushing for a jump in IT. The clinical program we are using now has the ability to use cell phones to chart in real time. This means that what I am doing at a patients home can now be viewed by office staff as I am doing it. No more calling for a list of patients that need to be seen. I will have access to it via the phone in a data text. No more 30 min conversations for a 5 min question. Working in real time is a huge jump in technology. This program even has the capabilities of flagging parameters outside of the normal limits. You could also get a text notifying you that a change has been made with your schedule. Track and trend data all with a couple touches of the screen. It will reduce duplication of duties by about 20%.

1 comment:

  1. wow, your technology is alot better than our system. My hospital purchased a new system and it is horrible. It makes paper charting look wonderful. After I did all the staff training, developed forms, assessments, etc.. we are now switching to a new system. Hope this is better!

    ReplyDelete