Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I chose to search Pub Med for my clinical question. My clinical problem is how much exercise do children with ADHD receive in a day. It was very confusing at the beginning of my search. As I typed in keywords I would end up with thousands of articles about ADHD. Then I started to limit the parameters of the search. I looked for ADHD and exercise. I still received over a thousand articles. I then set limits to children aged 12 to 18. That took a few hundred off of the thousands. When I got very specific on what exactly I wanted I could not find a single article. My search was very time consuming, I spent a total of 5 hrs looking for information and trying to import it to EndNote. I never did figure out how to import. Having to broad and to narrow of searches will bring you nothing but wasted time. Having a specific item you want to search for does not always work out; there may not have been studies. For example I just wanted to know; if studies have been conducted about using exercise as an alternative to medication for children diagnosed with ADHD. At first I had over 40 thousand articles. Then I narrowed my search using keywords. The problem is I narrowed my search too much and only came up with six hits.
A couple of the barriers would be time and ease of use. Using a Pub Med search in daily practice would be applicable only if you knew how to use it effectively. There is a very time consuming factor in narrowing down a search to a reasonable amount of information. If this resource was used frequently the application would not seem so tricky. Time would be a huge factor in implementing a search for information. There would be no way to spend 5 hours a day doing research. When a search is done it needs to be quick and to the point. Setting limits helps but does not solve the problem of retrieving information that you don’t really need.

No comments:

Post a Comment